A Letter to Daniel

I haven't posted anything in awhile. I am currently working on another writing project and haven;t taken time to write something fresh here. However, I found in my computer files a letter I wrote to Daniel two days after he left for boot camp in Great Lakes, Illinois. There's nothing special about it. Just words from a father to a son who he already misses dearly. I may post more of these letters later but I'm not certain. 


September 13, 2003

Dear Daniel,

I decided to write you, even though I do not yet have your address. I hope we get it soon!

Today is Saturday. There is nothing special to report. The phone call from you last Thursday was short and not what I wanted. I wanted to chat awhile; hear how your flight was; if you like your roomies; if you got the top, middle or lower bunk, etc. You know the stuff Dads want to hear. I am sure that is how it was for all of you though. 

I hope all is good and that you are doing well. I hope you are pumped up and are glad you went in. This will be good for you I keep telling myself. But, I miss you. This experience will be good for both of us.

I am going back to Juvenile on Monday. I dread it more each day. However, it will, most likely, not be all that bad. Some good things are that I will be closer to home, be able to see my old friends more (McKee, Paul Luera and Seth Goldstein) and perhaps have more freedom to get out of the office. 

Heather is moving into your old room. I think she waited about 17 seconds after you left to start the move. Well, maybe a bit longer than that, but not by much.

My fellow PO and good friend, Bart Sloan, has been very interested in your going in. He is former military (Army?) and a very patriotic American. He asked if he could write to you and I said “sure”. He said he wants to send you something but did not elaborate. I will give him your address soon as I get it.

Grandma and Grandpa came to visit us this evening. They are on their MMAP trip and drove down to see one of his friends in Sacramento and then went to see Barbara, Melinda and Adrian. They got here about 8:18 p.m. and will spend the night, then go to church with us tomorrow. We are going to Crossroads to check it out.

Well, I will close for now. I will probably write another letter or two before I finally get your new address. So, will stop for now. I love you. Take care. Write back if you can. If you send a general information letter to one of us (Faddis’), then we can share it with the others. I would guess that you will write to Liz separately from us. OK. Later.

Love,



Comments

John Haak said…
Hey Stan,

Being a dad with my own "Daniel" I sure agreed with so much that your wrote. What a burden you must carry together as a couple? Thanks again for opening up your mind and heart.

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver