Our 33rd. Anniversary


Today, July 12, 2013 marks the 33rd. anniversary of Linda and me being married. In 1980, there were people who knew us that whispered we would “never make it.” The primary reason they thought this was that I was too immature to be her husband. That I would fail to support her financially. They believed I was incapable of a long term commitment. On our twentieth anniversary, we happened to run into one of “those people.” She admitted that she was one who had thought this about us. She told us she was sorry for thinking it and said she was happy we had made it to 20 years. 

To be fair, even I didn’t think, back then, that our marriage would last because I really was immature and unreliable. But it’s amazing what a guy can do when he has the love and support of a woman like Linda. We had many rough patches in the first years  of our union as well as some all through our marriage. However, we are still standing as a couple 33 years later. I give most of the credit to Linda because of how strong she is and I know that she loves only me. I would have to be an idiot to not want to hang on to her. Any man would be blessed to have her as a wife, but, sorry guys, she chose me, so as my brother Jeff would say, “Go kick rocks.” 

One thing I really like about us is that we think similarly about celebrating our anniversary each year. Last night, as we sat in the living room, me watching TV and her playing a game on her iPhone (she calls such apps “time wasters”), I said, “I need to tell you that I didn’t buy you anything and didn’t even get you a card.” She responded by saying, “Fine! I’ll just take back what I bought you to the store.” Her sense of humor only gets better as time goes by. She is quite spontaneous and very funny at times.  A prime example of this is somewhat embarrassing for me to reveal but is too good not to tell.

I am currently in need of testosterone and so every two weeks I to get a shot of it. Linda, my nurse, administers these shots. A while back, I was in in the bedroom and she was elsewhere in our house. I texted her the following... “I need my man shot.” She texted back, “Where is he? I’ll get my gun.” I almost fell over laughing. I love her wit!

Now, I am not the most romantic dude in the land, but sometimes I try. The following is something I wrote to her last year:

Ten Things That Make Me Love You
  • The dirty clothes hamper is almost always empty
  • You fix broken stuff around the house 
  • Hearing you clean the kitchen while I lay in bed
  • You pull the covers up over me in the middle of the night
  • The way you help Holly with Judah
  • The love I see in your eyes when you look at our grandchildren
  • Your tenderness as you nurture our Judah
  • That you go to help your sister fix up her house
  • That you love, support and stand by me through everything
  • You are the best example of a Godly woman I have ever seen

Truly, I am a blessed man. I love you, Linda. Thank you for loving me back. 

Comments

mouse said…
That's really beautiful Dad. You two have been a great example of what a marriage should be. Thanks for not giving up/

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver