A Song by Bob Bennett


AsI have previously written here, I am deeply moved by the lyrics of many songs by Bob Bennett. He is able to paint beautiful word pictures and I am grateful that he is still at it after so many years. I was just listening to his song “1951” which is a tribute to his parents. The song can make my cry and and also make me happy. For those people unfamiliar with this song, I have included the lyrics below:

Well Daddy was an honest, hard-working man
With bad eyesight and calloused hands
He married young and he made his stand
In 1951

Well it was worn-out pants and pinto beans
Minimum wage and mustard greens
But he treated Mama just like a queen
In 1951

In Nineteen-Hundred and Fifty-One
Both of them lovers and both of them young
There were clouds in the skies
But stars in their eyes in 1951
She called him "Mister" and he called her "Hon'"
In 1951

Sometimes I'd hear my Daddy sigh
Mama would cry on his shoulder
Whenever I would ask them why
They'd say "You'll know when you're older"
Well they'd pray for rain in Summer
And give thanks in the Fall
I've seen the pictures, I've seen them all
Even on their knees they looked so tall
In 1951

In Nineteen-Hundred and Fifty-One
Both of them lovers and both of them young
There were clouds in the skies
But stars in their eyes in 1951
She called him "Mister" and he called her "Hon'"
In 1951
In 1951

I presume that Bob’s song is an accurate portrayal of his parents. His words are heartfelt and fill me with emotion about my own parents, who met around 1953, because some of the lyrics also echo my own fond memories of my Mom and Dad. 

My Dad was hard-working and had calloused hands since he was a construction worker. I also remember seeing them exchange loving glances and tender word to one another. I recall that he did call her “Hon” which is probably why I call Linda “Hon.” My Mom had many photos, which now belong to me and I sometimes look at. In her collection are photos of them when they were much younger. Dressed in slacks, shiny black shoes and wearing white socks and a white t-shirt, my Dad cut a handsome figure who seemed strong and confident. My Mom wore dresses, skirts and sweaters. She had beautiful, large blue eyes and a radiant smile.   

Dad died in 1968 when I was 11, Mom died in 1997 when I was forty. Sometimes I wonder how my own life would have been different if they were still here and still together. Since I cannot know this, I will be satisfied with my memories and the pictures Mom left me. 

Comments

John Haak said…
Thanks Stan ... I loe it because I hear your voice when I read it. Kinda spooky really but that is naturally how I hear it.

So when is your next Bob Bennett concert? I saw your announcement but missed the date.
John Haak said…
"loe" spells LOVE ... my fat fingers betray me.

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver