D&G, Bob Bennet and Me


Understandably, I have a lot on my mind today and that causes me to want to write stuff down. But I don’t want to write about the obvious today, so I won’t. 

Right now I am listening to an album by DeGarmo and Key titled “Straight On” which my good friend, Darren Briggs sent to me. D&G is my favorite band of all time, Christian or secular. Dana Key, who has since gone to be with the Lord, had a great rock and roll voice which I have coveted since the first time I heard it. “Straight On” was the second album they recorded by the band.

I first heard it in 1980 when it was shared with me by two cousins, Darryl Starn and Ron Johnson. The three of us started up a Christian concert ministry in Stanislaus County in 1980. Our first show was with Randy Stonehill in April 1980. In May 1980 we had Mark Heard come. Both these shows were at the Downey High School Auditorium and I think we charged $5.00 admission. Another show we did was with Sweet Comfort Band and after that I went back to San Jose to return to school, The ministry continued under Ron and Darryl for a while longer until it had run its course. It was a great experience for us. 

Between 1978 and 1992, I was a photographer who was blessed to shoot most all of the Christian concerts in the San Francisco Bay Area. San Jose Civic Auditorium, the Flint Center in Cupertino, Great America, the Boarding House in San Francisco, and the Fox Theater in Redwood City were some of the venues I worked at. My photos of Daniel Amos and Donna Summer and a few others were published in Contemporary Christian Magazine back then. 

My other favorite Christian bands from those days are Daniel Amos, Petra and the Sweet Comfort Band. My favorite solo artists are Bob Bennett, Larry Norman and Randy Stonehill. Five years ago, Larry passed away but we are fortunate to still have Bob and Randy recording and touring today. 

As for Bob Bennett- he is my twin brother from another mother. I first became aware of Bob's music in 1979 right after he released his first album, “First Things First.” His beautiful voice, excellent guitar playing and meaningful lyrics hit me right between the eyes. Bob is a storyteller. The songs he writes cause people to be right there as if  the listener is part of the story. I liken Bob's lyrics to the secular artist Dan Fogelberg and have often said that Bob Bennett is the Fogelberg of Christian music.

I met Bob in about 1981 at a concert of his that I photographed. Subsequently, I saw him many times and shot a lot of pictures of him. His meaningful lyrics have brought me through some of my darkest moments and many of them celebrate life and comment on the human condition. Bob Bennett’s music is soulful and deep thinking. I have many favorites which include “The Best,” “Come and See,” ”My Redeemer Lives,” “Man of the Tombs,” “Together All Alone,” “1951,” and “Hand of Kindness.” Truly, I don’t think I have heard a song of Bob’s that I didn’t like. 

Over the years, Bob and I have become good friends. He is one of the most gracious people you’d ever want to meet. His sense of humor is great and it matches mine, I think. In October 2011, he came to stay with Linda and I for a couple of days. He lined up a gig on a Friday night and sang at our church, Ceres Christian on Sunday. On that Saturday, he gave a house concert for about 40 people at our home which was much like a college reunion of San Jose Bible College friends, many of whom had not seen one another in 30+ years. I plan to do this again sometime this year and spoke to Bob about it a few days ago. I encourage all who read this post to look up Bob Bennett on the web, buy his music and think about hosting him in your own home and/or church. You will not regret it. Oh, and Bob didn’t ask me to write this and will likely be somewhat embarrassed about my praise of him and his music. 



Comments

Unknown said…
Sir, I am sorry for the grief you must have suffered over the loss of your son. I write, because even though we are a country apart, you in California, and me, in Alabama, I also found the music of Bob Bennett, and it has been a friend through painful times. I committed a sinful and shameful act in 2006, and left my wife. I was wrong, and have grieved for the ensuing years, for all that I threw away. I understand that Bob's "Bright Avenue" was written during a divorce and you are correct, he speaks to me. The pain is great, but the music of Bob Bennett is a blessing. I would do anything to contact him, help him and express my heartfelt thanks for his work. I would love to see him perform live some day. Thank you for sharing, and may God bless your hurting soul.

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver