Thanksgiving 2012 will be here soon and it will be a bittersweet time for our family. Some of us have commented about not having Daniel here at the table. This, I think, was his favorite holiday. It was in the top two, I am sure.It is special to all of us because we have been so bless ed have many Thanksgiving holidays together. I will do my best this year not to be in a somber mood, primarily for the sake of my family. They are affected by how I feel and if I am “up" they are likely to also be that way. As the leader, I want us all to have a good time. I want us to remember that Daniel is at peace and in a much better place. There are new memories for us who remain to build. My daughters have their own spouses and children now to begin their own catalogs of thoughts, fond memories and thankfulness. So, even though we will be hurting, we can have a great Thanksgiving Day this year.


I am thankful for so much and I try to tell God this sometimes when I think about it. First, He has promised me eternal life with Him because I have accepted his Son, Jesus as my Savior. This is the greatest gift of all. Then, here on Earth he has given me (at least) 55 years of life, a beautiful wife of 32 years, wonderful children, beautiful grandchildren who love me so much and many friends and extended family. I have traveled to Tahiti, Hong Kong, China, the Caribbean and Hawaii as well as many parts of the United States. I have done a lot of fun stuff such as being a professional sports photographer, a bodyguard to Robin Williams for a day, a Christian concert photographer who has been published in a magazine, and I got to be in college for eight years (=.

For the past two weeks I have been thankful for not living in the path of Sandy and suffering the way so many of those poor people are. My heart aches for them. I hope they will get the help they need from the government and others to help them rebuild. However, I know that most will never regain what they have lost. The devastation is too huge. I do not talk much about my political views in public. I have little trust in politicians of both parties because I believe so many of them are corrupted by the “power” they have been granted. The problems are far and away too big to be fixed by humans. I see the United States as going down the same path as other powerful societies in history such as the Greeks and the Romans. However, even though I think harsh and scary times are coming to our country, I will continue to trust in God who is my Savior. He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. I need Him to lean on right now while going through this time of my son’s suicide; I will need Him for the unseen problems and heartaches that lie ahead. Some of the possibilities include terrorist attacks, devastating earthquakes, losing my pension or the untimely death of other family members. I don’t dwell on these things, but I know they are all possible.

In the Bible, 2 Chronicles 7:14 says, “If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. I believe this scripture with all my heart. I wish all of us believed it and followed its instruction because if we did, our country would be a much better place. Lord, please heal our land.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver