This morning I remembered it would have been my brother, Jeff’s 54th birthday today. Jeff was 15 months younger than me and as youngsters were very close. We had little contact after 1976 when I moved to San Jose and Jeff remained at home in Ceres. We did not see eye to eye on most things in life and we argued a lot when we were together. In 2005, Jeff wrecked his truck, was ejected and badly injured. He had been drinking just prior to the crash. He was in a coma for two weeks in ICU before dying on February 8, 2005, after suffering a stroke.


Most people loved Jeff but some strongly disliked him. He was good looking, rowdy and magnetic. Many guys were jealous of his ability to attract girls. As we all do, Jeff had his faults. He was quick to anger and would fight at the drop of a hat. He was self-centered and always wanted to be doing something wild. I used to say that he was born 100 years too late and would have been a legendary mountain man or an outlaw. He loved to hunt bear, wild pigs and raccoons. His method of hunting hogs was unorthodox. While most would shoot a 300 pound hog from a safe distance, Jeff had “catch dogs” that would chase down their prey and latch on to the pig. They held the animal until Jeff got there when he would stab it with his knife until it died.

Today, I am missing my brother Jeff as well as my two other siblings, Tina who also passed away in 2005 and Kevin who died in 1981, both in car crashes. Of course, my son is foremost in my thoughts today as I dwell on my losses. Friends sometimes comment about how many I have lost which includes both my parents and what a tragic life I have had. I do not really know how to respond to this other than to say that others have suffered worse than I.

When asked how I handle these catastrophes I tell them it is through Jesus who gives me strength and hope. I know that when I die, I will go to heaven because I have asked Him to save me. He has the authority to do this because he died for my sins on the Cross and three days later, the Father resurrected Jesus and beat death. My hope lies in the fact that this life on Earth is short and only temporary for those who ask Jesus to forgive them. John 3:16 states…For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. I believe this with every fiber of my being.

Comments

Mouse said…
We have a lot in common. Its unfortunate, to say the least, that one of those things is losing a brother whose age was so close to our own and before we thought we would see them go. Reading your blog is helpful to me. It voices feelings and thoughts the same as I have. Thanks for sharing.
Chris Fiorini said…
I am extremely honored to be part of Daniel's life. It is difficult to wrap my head around not celebrating his wedding, conversely, I understand how unpredictable life can be. I love Daniel like a brother he was as much a part of who I am, and I in turn was a part of who he was. It has been difficult to cope with the loss of my buddy, my brother, my amigo, however, I will do my best to honor Daniel. I am also honored that Daniel considered me a close friend, we shared time and nobody can take time away. The memories Daniel and I both shared will always be close to my heart. Even the bad times I will cherish, Daniel always had my back no matter the situation. There was this unwritten bond between us that would not allow us to turn our back on each other, no matter how bad the situation got. Daniel loved me and my family,and I will always consider Daniel to be like an older brother figure to me. We always finished a phone conversation with I love you bro, or when we got the opportunity to hang out we embraced each other with a hug. I will always miss my friend, and I can guarantee I will never forget my friend. Rest well Daniel keep a watchful eye on the one's you love, and I will always honor you...my brother from a different mother!

Love,

Christopher M. Fiorini

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver