As I was looking through my computer today, I found this partially completed letter I wrote to Daniel just before he went into the Navy.  He was 19 years old then. How ironic that only 9 years later I am saying goodbye to him again until that great day when we are reunited again. I do not recall if I gave this to him. Probably not as it looks unfinished and is not signed. I post the letter here for your consideration:

July 23, 2003


My Dear, One and Only, Beloved Son,

This letter has been long in coming. I have begun it, in my mind, many, many times. It will take me a while to write it but I will finish before you leave. I already miss you and you have not even left yet.

Time has gone by so very quickly. It was just yesterday you were 2 years old and we were wrestling on the bed. You were such a little squirt! Now, you are grown up and have become a man. I treasure the moments I remember when you were small; when you looked at me in awe and truly believed I was the greatest man who ever lived.

One of my favorite memories is when I came home from salmon fishing and you were so excited I had caught a fish. I remember how proud and excited you were to hold up that fish as if you had been the one to catch it. I love thinking about how curious you were about everything.

Son, you have turned out to be a great and loving person. I never dreamed I would have a son like you. One who would be so handsome, smart and caring. I am so sad you are leaving, but am equally proud of what you have chosen to do for your country.

We had a good talk today about you, the Navy, being a cop, life, etc. I am glad you chose to be honest with me. I have always appreciated that about you. I think it makes our relationship stronger. It is hard for me to hear about the unwise choices you make; the ones you make in spite of my counseling and warnings. But, I also know you have to make your own decisions and learn some things the hard way. That is like real life I suppose, but some of those lessons will be very difficult to deal with so, again, I remind you to please listen to what I say and follow my advice.

Comments

Chris Fiorini said…
Stan,

First off, you are a wonderful father. Daniel always spoke about you with such pride, much like I do about my Father. Reading your post reminded me of the "Senior Trip" in Oahu. Daniel held true to your word (minus the tattoo) when all of us wanted to get into as much trouble as possible. He was the first on to say "sorry fellas no...I promised my Old Man" when we went shouldered tapping for beer. He may not one-hundred percent approved of what we got up to on that trip, however, he watched our back like a hawk to make sure we stayed out of trouble. Over the years there were choices of Daniels I did not agree with, conversely, he always made it known he wanted to make you proud. I still claim to this day Daniel is his fathers son, and, you are two men I have a great deal of respect for. Thank you Stan for sharing this letter.

Love,

Chris

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver