After posting yesterday’s blog entry I got to thinking about the relationship between father and son. Daniel and I had many talks about life and what we should do as we go through it. This involves being responsible, holding a job, providing protection, housing, food and the other necessities for loved ones; being law abiding, not hurting others, especially our wives and children; not taking advantage of anyone. We talked about how I had disappointed my Mom (my Dad died when I was 11) and how Daniel had sometimes not lived up to my expectations and not followed my instruction. Sometimes he made me so angry with his behavior (which I will talk about more in the future) and even though I loved him, sometimes I did not like him. Then, today, I realized that no matter how much he angered me, or did not follow my counsel, or broke the “house rules” repeatedly, I still loved him. When he asked me to forgive him I did – every time. I loved my son and I forgive him for his last, terrible mistake. A choice which cannot be reversed; has caused so many of us searing pain; one for which he cannot ask forgiveness. Yet, I forgive him because I love him so much. He is my flesh and blood. He is my son.


God loves us in the same way and even more than we can possibly understand. If we could only comprehend that God loves us like we love our children, we would be better off. Many of us view God as sitting on his throne and looking down on us with condemnation, waiting for us to “mess up.” If we do not do this to our own kids, why do we believe that God would treat us this way? He wants his to see him as “Abba” or “Daddy.” This is how I choose to see him. Yes, He can be stern and angry. He  allows us to make our own decisions knowing sometimes those choices hurt us. He is sometimes disappointed in how we live our lives. But, he is always there, waiting with open arms when we decide to run to Him and ask forgiveness. I am so glad to have a Heavenly Father like that and it inspires me to be an Earthly father like that to my children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver