A Different Christmas This Year

Christmas 2013

This Christmas was very different for Linda and I. Usually, all the kids and grandchildren are here for a couple of days, including Christmas day. This year, Heather and here four were here a couple of days prior to Christmas. Holly, Bryan and Judah were back and forth from their house a few miles away, Meagan came also  and we all spent Christmas eve together. We let the grandkids open a couple of presents that evening. Holly started off the crying while she was taking photos of all the goings-on. I asked her if she was crying because she missed Daniel and she said yes. The thought of Daniel made me fondly recall his little smile when he opened a present and saw it was something he really liked such as a knife, a tool of some kind or a gift card to Bass Pro Shops. I told Heather, Holly and Meagan I wanted them to open the present we got for them last and all in unison. That’s when the tears really flowed because inside the packages were quilt tops that Linda had our friend, Cindy Natzke sew together. Each are different and are all made from Daniel’s t-shirts and Navy desert uniforms from his tour in the Persian Gulf. They are beautiful and well crafted. I said, “See, Daniel is here with us tonight.” I’m sure they will keep those quilts forever. Cindy’s working on one for Linda and I and will complete all four of them in January after she puts a border around them.   

Heather’s husband, Sam had to work all night Christmas eve and he showed up Christmas morning at about 8:30 a.m. Heather and I were just finishing up preparing the biscuits and gravy when he got here. After breakfast, everyone assembled in the living room again for the little ones to open the remaining presents. Holly and Bryan were;t here then as they were heading to his parents’ house in San Jose. Around noon, Heather, Sam and their four headed down to Southern California to his parents’ house for a few days.  

Well, the two paragraphs above only speak to one difference about Christmas this year. What really made it distinctive was that we had six non-family visitors at our Christmas celebration. Monday of last week, I was heading home from running errands when I saw a man and woman walking down the road several blocks from our house. She was pushing a stroller, a young girl was walking next to her and the man was carrying infant car seats in each of his hands. It was cold and i felt bad for them, especially the kids. I made a u-turn and drove up to them. I asked if they needed a ride and they accepted saying they were going a few blocks to the Good Samaritan Homeless Shelter. On our way there, I learned he had recently lost his job and they were evicted and he also had had his car stolen. They have been drifting shelter to shelter since then. They were going to this shelter to get something to eat and maybe have a shower if there was a slot for them. The children, all girls, are 4, 1-1/2 and the twins are three months old. I asked the woman for her cell number and told them I was going to make some calls and see if I could find some resources for them. 

When they got out, I drove away and stopped nearby to call Linda who was at work. When she answered, I said, “How would you like to do something really crazy for Christmas?” She asked what and I filled her in suggesting we give them a roof, a meal and a shower for a couple of days. She said she was open to it and that we should pray about it. Later that afternoon, we agreed to do it and I called the woman to say Linda and I would meet them at the shelter at five o'clock to tell them about the “resource” we found. We invited them to come to our house and they gratefully accepted. Originally, I planned to have them stay for a night or two. Linda called me the next day from work to say she thinks we should let them stay until after the new year. That night we told them we could house them until January 2. However, they need a lot of help to get back on their feet. She landed a job at McDonald’s and on January 6 he will be working at a fish processing plant here in Turlock. We do not yet know how this will pan out but we are grateful to God for giving us this big house which we can use to help out those in need. 

I’m not posting this story in order to draw attention to my “good will” or to brag about how great I am. Believe me, I really struggled with this decision because I like my privacy and have a healthy distrust of strangers. But, Linda and I could not bear the thought of these people, especially the little ones, being out on the cold streets. And it feels really good to help. They are very good guests, cooking, cleaning up and trying their best not to be a burden. 


Another great thing that has come out of this is how our church family, my aunt and friends have stepped up to help. We have received some funds, lots of diapers and formula for the twins as well as clothing and Christmas gifts for all of them. My aunt Sue sent over food and said she will send more if it is needed. Our church friend, Sierra, baby sat the twins when it was needed and is willing to do so again. We are grateful to all these folks who have pitched in and to God to have the opportunity to serve Him.   

Meagan's Quilt
  
Heather's Quilt
Holly's Quilt



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver