Bradley Dack


I got a  text message today from Brad Dack, a former San Jose Bible College classmate, asking me to call him. We have not spoken to one another in approximately 30 years since we were on staff at Heavenly Hill Christian Camp. The text was a surprise and I quickly called him. I didn’t ask, but I presume he got my number from another classmate, Lee Roberts. Brad explained he is going up to Yosemite this coming weekend with three men he knew at SJBC and he wants to park his car at my house on Friday while he’s gone. He said Lee would pick him up here to continue the journey. He stated that he gets tired easily because he has pancreatic cancer. Brad said, “Finding out I have cancer was as surprising as an earthquake.” 

We chatted for a bit about this and that. I asked him if he had heard about the “surprising” event that Linda and I had in June 2012 when Daniel died. He said he had not and expressed his sympathy.  He then related that he had also lost his son to Muscular Dystrophy some 22 years ago.   

During our conversation, Brad said things that blessed, educated and lifted me.  We were talking about each of our losses and he said the deaths of our sons left a hole in our lives that will always be there, but we learn how to work through and around that hole. His words brought tears to my eyes. He articulated to me something that no one else has ever been able to state in such a vivid way. I believe that, because Brad has suffered the same loss as me, he possesses the “right” to say that. His words were rooted in experience. This is not to say that the similar things that others have said to me since June 20, 2012, are not valid because they are. But, coming from Brad, the words carried more weight. The grieving father to grieving father exchange was very helpful to me because Brad can and does truly empathize with me-we walk in the same shoes. 

He also communicated to me that he has a very untypical view about his impending death, which could be anywhere from six months to two years from now. His attitude is that of a man who sees his glass as being half-full instead of half-empty. It is his intention to live each day, however many that may be, too its fullest extent. He does not fret about dying and looks forward to heaven. Certainly, he would not turn down a miraculous healing by God, but barring that, he knows the Lord will take him when He is ready to do so.  

I am grateful to Brad for what he shared with me today. I look forward to spending a few hours visiting in my home on Friday. I look more forward to the day when Brad, our sons and I will meet again in God’s presence.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver