The Picture

We have a framed photo of Daniel that has a large white mat around the picture. One of the girls had put it together to take to his memorial service so that folks could sign it in his memory. I have never paid much attention to it before today. I don't know why. Maybe it was a subconscious decision to protect my heart from more hurt, or maybe I just wasn't interested in reading the comments, or maybe I wasn't yet ready to see what people had to say. Anyway, today it caught my eye as it sat there on the floor leaning against his gun safe. I picked it up, sat down on a chair, rested it on my knees and read what people wrote on June 30, 2012.  

I alternated between looking at my son's have face and reading those comments. Needless to say, I began to cry a little as I read and looked at my boy, remembering his short life, his humor, his seriousness, his desire to be a protector of the weak, and the hole in my life that his passing has left in it. 

The comments are deeply touching. The friends who wrote mention that they will never forget him, that they often talk about their fun times together, how he changed them, and his loyalty. One even credited Daniel with "making me who I am today." His smile, laughter, his hugs and sense of humor are also mentioned. He is referred to as "Big Man" and "Godfather". I get the big man moniker and I know his nickname was "Godfather" but I don't know how he got that one hung on him. I'm sure it's a good story though. 

The most touching comment, the one I so closely identify with, and that which made the tears start was written by his sister, Holly, who penned, "We will never be the same without you." I couldn't agree more. 

Comments

Unknown said…
That is why I passed it on it helped me so much to read that

Popular posts from this blog

A Sample Court Report

The Driver